Wednesday, June 11, 2014

A Few More Cultural Places

Hi everyone,

Have you missed me. I haven't gotten you a new blog in a while since the last time was probably a bit overwhelming. Anyway I have a few more experiences to share with you such as a few more chinese dishes, some Thai dishes and some more cultural places.

First up, a few days ago I had the opportunity to hang out with one of my flat mates, Cindy. She invited me out to have a specialty of Taiwan, beef noodle soup. I ordered the spicy kind because as you all know everyone needs a little spice in their life. This was one of the mot delicious things that I have ever tasted. I should have know since we had to wait to get in this place, but I was so glad that we waited. The meat was succulent and so savory. This is a must try dish should anyone ever go to Taiwan. I loved this dish so much that it even ended up on my shirt. You are probably wondering like what is he a two year old, but it wasn't my fault because when you get the spicy kind then make sure your napkin covers your shirt so it doesn't splash all over you.

Anyway, lunch was delicious. After that we went to the National Revolutionary Martyrs Shrine because the other Fine Arts Museum was closed on a Monday. Who has ever heard of something being closed on a Monday, anyway we should have checked first before hiking on over in one of the rare very sunny days. The shrine was just that a shrine, but it was very elaborate and ornate. The bright colors and highly decorative architecture contradicts the many drab and dreary looking buildings that many people live in. I'm not saying that everyone should live in brightly colored and very decorative houses, but a little color would be nice. The shrine also features many important figures during the war between the communists and KMT. I don't really know that much about the history, but here they gave very detailed descriptions of the many encounters that took place.

Later that evening with a few more flatmates we made our way to a Thai restaurant. Here you will find restaurants from all across east and south Asia. The food was quite good. I was able to taste a spicy chicken in coconut sauce, a beef dish and octopus. The best thing to me was the octopus dish, which is surprising because I would say that it is as meaty as chicken or beef, but I did really like it. The chicken dish was only a little spicy, but the coconut sauce was a good complement. Even if the food here isn't always in the peak of freshness the seasoning and flavor is unquestionably good.

Today I had the opportunity to visit the Taipei Hakka Cultural Park. I cannot say that I learned a great deal becasue much of what I saw today didn't have the English translation but enough did so I could get a general idea. The Hakka culture is from mainland China and centers around a group of people that have been continually displaced by war and natural disasters. The culture is rich in its own with having there own deities and special holidays. They form mainly an agrarian society with also a focus in exquisite woodwork. I wish I could give you an even better idea, but that is about what I garnered from the park that was in English. I have pictures of the park and the area so be sure to check those out as well. I just had my language placement test today and I can surely say that I know almost no Chinese. But don't be dismayed because that is what I am here to learn!

Friday I will be given a comprehensive tour of National Taiwan University where I will be studying and then Saturday I will be headed to the mountains for an adventure so be sure to stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment