Monday, June 2, 2014

Not the Best Way to Start in Taipei

Okay everyone I am back!

I know that you are all going to be very disappointed in me. Today was the dragon boat festival which is a pretty large event in mainland China, Taiwan and Hong Kong. It is an event where many people have special boat races, food ceremonies and more. (Click here for more info) I really wanted to go to this celebration today, but I was unable to make it to the place. I thought that jet lag wasn't that big of a deal, but somehow I managed to get really sleepy and tired when I was trying to figure out exactly where I needed to go to see the boats and sample the zongzi and wine that is used the celebrate the holiday. However, it seems that I ended up... wait for it... LOST IN TAIPEI!

I am not sure how it exactly happened, but as I was trying to reach the area that had been described to me, I realized that I should stop by the ATM for a withdrawal. I didn't do it at airport because it was near highway robbery there, and everyone else that I spoke to and read about online did not recommend it. So as I was trying to find my way to the ATM I must have definitely taken a wrong turn somewhere. I tried to retrace my steps from where I had come from, but I was so excited about where I was going that I wasn't really paying attention. It has come to my attention that I do not know traditional Chinese as well as I thought I did. While it is more distinct in many aspects from simplified it is still very complicated and difficult to decipher for an amateur such as myself. After getting frustrated for a little while I finally managed to get directions back to the main road that I know, Luosifu or Roosevelt. I thankfully made it there and then decided to take pictures as I headed back to my flat to redo the directions and everything else that I had done. I have indeed uploaded the first pictures that I have taken from today which are some pretty general pictures of some of the sights that I saw. This is a warning, Taipei can be dangerous for tourists. If you are not careful you may be run over by bikes or mopeds. JK everyone, while it is true that they are just about everywhere from the sidewalks to the main roads, many of these riders and drivers are very skilled as they weave through the populace with ease.

The only food that I have tried so far are some dumplings, which I would have taken pictures of with two exceptions. These dumplings were very boring looking (even though they tasted okay) and two I ate them very quickly.

I have been definitely slacking though as after I returned from my failed excursion I sort of took a five hour nap. Yeah you read that right a FIVE HOUR NAP! First I hate naps and almost never take unless severe circumstances are involved. Anyway, I will make up for this tomorrow by visiting one of the places that I have already placed on my list of things to do. I will most assuredly be very rested tomorrow so get ready. Directions nor jet lag will be able to stop me tomorrow. First I have a map now. Haha, clever me and second I will bring along more snacks! Yes I went to one of the million convenience stores and bought large amounts of snacks. This way I shall have lots of energy for tomorrow.

My day isn't over yet. I might take the metro later or have to run out and get some late night food from the vendors. Ordering here is a little difficult, because my food vocabulary is very low, but I do recognize the important things such as soup, noodles, beef and chicken. If you know any others that I need to know then go ahead and comment!

Also the added pictures are on the right hand side of the page under Taipei 2014. If you want to see them up close you should be able to click the image for a better look.

2 comments:

  1. Gabriel I love reading your blog already! I was also planning to start a blog when I get to Hong Kong. I can't wait to see awesome pictures of sights and food :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. And you should definitely start a blog when you go to Hong Kong. I want to hear all about it. The food, culture and people!

      Delete