Sunday, June 8, 2014

Finally Chiang Kai-Shek

Hey There Everyone,

First I would like to thank Josh and Dee for letting me use their camera to get all these awesome pictures and then a special thanks to Josh for helping figure out that instead of trying to find a super exclusive Sony usb cable for the camera to focus on the memory card. I found a usb hookup that has let me access the pictures within the memory card so the I have added about 79 pictures to the Chiang Kai-Shek Slideshow for everyone to see. If you cannot access or see the pictures let me know.

Alright I have been waiting to post about this awesome experience for some time now so here it goes. The place is only a short walk away from where I stay so if push came to shove I would have marched right back there. Anyway, the area is surrounded by a white wall that is remarkably clean much like the rest of the city. Inside the wall is a nice sort of like park. It has nice paths and benches surrounded by all manner of flora and fauna. It was extremely peaceful in the side area where I entered. There were only a few elderly people who were either taking walks or simply sitting and enjoying the weather which was  nice that day.

Once I stepped out of this serene area I was immediately confronted by this giant white hall. It was immense, much like something I would expect to see in Washington D.C. However the inside was far more elegant. Inside might be described as the ultimate gilding job. Everything seemed so golden and regal that it felt as if you had stepped into a royal court. I managed to get there just in time for the guard change which was startling at first because it was so quiet and then you hear this loud marching, but it was cool the see.

The first area that I went into didn't allow pictures unfortunately and the volunteer who was in charge of the area kept watching me as if he dared me to take a picture or something. This is a description of what I saw within the Zhong Zheng Art Gallery. The main thing that stood out was the vast amounts of calligraphy on grand sheets of paper. (It reminded me of this scene) Well not quite like that, but you get the point. It was a huge part of the culture to be able to write in such a manner and having such large amounts on display shows the amount of respect that it still garners.

Other paintings includes landscapes with the mountains being my favorite. I am not sure why, but within every room this is similar to what caught my eye. I think I might be drawn to the secluded and tranquil feel that seems to be calling to me. Or I might just be some depressed person drawn to some of the more dreary and dark paintings within the room

It is true that these were some of the least colorful paintings especially in contrast to many of the animal featured such as the horses and pheasants. There were a significant amount of brightly colored pheasant paintings that really seemed to bring the bird to life in every image. Whether it was in flight or merely resting among the underbrush.

The final main theme that stuck out to me was the female characters that were portrayed in many paintings. The were all strikingly beautiful, but very fragile and soft looking from the way they were painting. Maybe soft and fragile isn't a good description, I think fluid would be better. The way they were shaped suggested an almost flow to them much like a river.

The next area that I visited was dedicated to the life of Chiang Kai-Shek, from his birth to his death. This was by far the most detailed account of a person's life that I have ever experienced in a memorial or museum of any kind. Everything had been meticulously chronicled or copied down to the very items that he wore. It is very clear how respected he was to have someone go to such great lengths in order to make sure to have a very comprehensive view of his life. After reading through much of the information myself, I could understand as why. I can say without a doubt that the life he lived was an adventure from start to finish. If you haven't heard of him or really don't know much about him I highly suggest reading about him.

The next room that I visited was the Jie Shi Exhibition Hall. This place was a little bit surprising. In it I found Japanese artists and works. I know when people think China and Japan, then you immediately begin to think of the animosity between them. Here in Taiwan I am not sure that it is the same. Taiwan was occupied by Japan for about 50 years and so has contributed a lot to its culture. The oldest university, NTU, used to be the Imperial University built by the Japanses. The art displayed, had a different look to it. I am not sure about others, but when I saw it could tell that it wasn't Chinese. I think it was the flowers, There were not many flowers showcased in the other room, but for some reason they made me think of Japan. Anyway, there were also other things such as the Japanese calligraphy as well as figures dressed in Japanese dress.

There was a media area with some sort of movie going on, but since I couldn't take pictures I skipped it. I may check it out next time I go. The stores with the hall are very nice and very cheap compared to US souvenir stores. I mean they are probably more expensive than other things, but they seemed reasonably priced by my standards.

The memorial hall was a extremely fulfilling trip. I have always loved places with so much rich history and art. I highly recommend going because its free ad located right next to the metro. This concludes this blog. I may be putting more than one today which is a great possibility because was an awesome day that I will tell you all about. Anyway be sure to always check out all the pictures because I am uploading new ones just about every day.

Don't forget to comment. Your suggestions and or questions are always welcome. Even if you think something is outlandish at least let me know and then I will get back to you on it. Also there are links within many of my posts about things that may be interesting or things that I think you might not know about so don't forget to check them out.

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment